“2 1 Therefore if you have any encouragement from being united with Christ, if any comfort from His love, if any common sharing in the Spirit, if any tenderness and compassion,
2 then make my joy complete by being like-minded, having the same love, being one in spirit and of one mind.”—Philippians 2:1-2
“9 Just as the Father has loved Me, I have also loved you; abide in My love. 10 If you keep My commandments, you will abide in My love; just as I have kept My Father’s commandments and abide in His love. 11 These things I have spoken to you so that My joy may be in you, and that your joy may be made full.”—John 15:9-11 (NASB)
“11 For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. 12 Then you will call on me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. 13 You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.”—Jeremiah 29:11-13
Um, wow. I don’t know if it’s the song selection or because it’s in black and white or the fact that everybody in this video is so attractive, but what started out as incredibly awkward, seeing two strangers meet each other and kiss, turned into something pretty damn beautiful. The premise of the video, called First Kiss and directed by Tatia Pilieva, was to get 20 strangers and have them kiss each other for the first time. It gets electric.
“13 No temptation has overtaken you except what is common to mankind. And God is faithful; He will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, He will also provide a way out so that you can endure it.”—1 Corinthians 10:13
**I actually wrote this a week ago but forgot to publish heh…so here it is**
I must be in an extra contemplative mood if this is my third entry today lol.
Anyway, McBF and I were discussing some of the things we’re looking forward to with our move and joked about how “grown up” of a step it felt. Although we take it serious and hope to find success in our independence…
it made me think about yesterday, when I was sitting at the bank with the teller realizing how little I knew about personal finances and the real world in general. All the numbers and talks about fixed vs. variable interests rates and forecasting realistic expectations of future spending behaviors seriously made my head spin. Signing my name and life away to thousands of dollars of debt seemed so rash and daunting, though I’ve been as calculated and cautious as I could be in my research. I always wondered how my parents did it…and the more I’m exposed to, I wonder even more how the hell they did it haha.
Entering the work wold after college, I still had the “penny saver” mindset with which my mom raised us. I never spent on myself unless it was for needs such as food, gas, and essentials. I would always feel guilty spending anything more than $20 for something that I wanted…though in time I became more comfortable realizing it was just an hour’s worth of work. After working full time for a year and saving, I finally felt okay with spending money on myself and rewarding myself because I thought why not? I deserve it. I worked hard for this money…which led to eating lots of food, having great experiences and adventures with friends, and traveling! Why not live it up…when I know there won’t be the time or money once I’m back in school.
Though I set aside a portion of my savings to go to school, I realize that it’s once again time to be “smart” with my money. I think about what kind of lifestyle I’ll live…but I think there are still a lot of ways we can make it interesting and fun. I try not to think too much about how much debt I’ll be in once I start my career as a health professional because it’s a serious downer haha. I want to be able to think that I could still have a high quality life with a smaller pocket.
When I used to work at the Haas School of Business, I remembered a popular class amongst undergrads there called, “Intro to Personal Finance.” I was hoping that there would be archived webscasts that I could watch to learn a thing or two, but unfortunately…did not find it. I did, however, come across a website and blog called “Adulting” - “how to become a grown-up in 468 easy(ish) steps.”
I laughed in amusement…though surprisingly it caught my interest. If only it were that easy to have a manual to growing up. Sigh..the convenience! I’m not one to deny someone else’s wisdom though! I always think to myself about the saying on how “experience is the best teacher,” but always think, damn…I wish I could go back in time to tell myself what I had learned to avert disaster altogether.
Ahhh..while I don’t welcome the new responsibilities of my life with open arms, I look forward to these next stages of my awkward growth :).
And suuuuuuuummer, and summer, and I am here to win you over. - dc
I can’t believe there are only four weeks left of summer…just under four weeks until I move away from home again and start anew. While 25 is near, I almost feel 18 again. I wanna start capturing my life moments both dull and exciting for the purpose of continuity and remembering how I felt. It’s been long since I’ve regularly expressed myself in any form of journaling. So this is my attempt to get back at it haha.
So at the start of summer, I stated some goals…let’s see:
Getting active and being healthy! (I realize that these past 6 months are the worst I’ve treated my body in a while…so I want to start eating more healthily and exercising if even just a 30 min run every morning. Edward has been teaching me how to cook!)
- I’m about to start week 3 of insanity! Being in a bikini all of Hawaii motivated me to try and flatten my relationship belly :X. I’m feeling better getting in shape. Being at home has made it easier to eat healthier, but I still need to pick up some cooking skills from my parents!
Plan travelling: East Coast Trip (April 12-21), Bday trip (Either Hawaii or Miami in July?)
- McBF and I had an awesome time on the East Coast. Definitely looking forward to the adventures that will continue with our move….Bday trip to Hawaii with my siblings was a blast! It felt so surreal! Waking up to white sand and clear waters everyday was amazing. The excursions we had from hikes to surfing to swimming with dolphins will definitely power me through my travelling dry spout once nursing school hits.
Make a Bay Area eat/see/drink/do adventure list to complete before I move
- Did tons of exploring with McBF and friends on foot and through my stomach. Bay Area you will be missed! I look forward to the day I come back!
Nursing scholarships (NHSC, HRSA), prepare for grad school (housing, fin aid, etc)
- Preparing is a work in progress. I didn’t end up qualifying for some of those scholarships because I barely made it into the next income level..boo. But PTL, we recently found housing, and my loan is in the process of being finalized! Can’t believe how fast it’s coming up! I feel like it’s a thief in the night…
- Handed over my MHC health screening duties to amazing people in May. Definitely learned a lot here.
Learn Tagalog!!! Rosetta stone?? lol…
- Ummm….I still don’t know any tagalog and am reminded quite often how little I know haha. Hopefully, I can make some time for this.
Work on self/hobbies….guitar, photography, read
- I’ve played my guitar a bit in recent days learning some new songs and attempting to learn some picking patterns. Took some pics in Hawaii, but I still need to dust off my camera lenses. Reading I really haven’t gotten to do as much…but saw a few books lying around the house that I’m interested in taking a peak.
Continue reconnecting with loved ones: family, friends (new&old)
- This has been my main priority…I’ve been spending a lot of time with my family and Bantay. I’ve seen a few friends from high school here and there. It always feels like such a time bomb. At the core, we’re the same, but we’ve accumulated so many esxperiences since our last meeting. I especially love when my worlds collide :)
Buy myself a new wardrobe
- Do bathing suits count lol? Hope to get this done sometime before I leave!
Watch a few TV series in their entirety (Friends…maybe Sex in the City and Scrubs..or other SitComs lol)
- Halfway into season 6 of Friends!!
Work on my faith
- Always a work in progress…but more and more I’ve been feeling His pull
Though I haven’t hit every point on my list, I’m pretty satisfied with my efforts. I’ve had a lot of slow days coming back home after Hawaii and settling back in, but I really don’t mind. I know I won’t have this kind of time once it’s go go go again.
It’s been nice engaging in this shy waltz across the keyboard. It’s been a long time, tumblr. I’ve missed you.
Wow. I can’t remember the last time I took the time to actually write a personal post. Once work and the application process took over my life, my posts were solely reblogs of things that caught my eye or reflected how I felt or not until I completely fell off the tumblr train.
I feel like I should recap my life since the last time I seriously posted, which would probably be around June, when I finished taking my GRE’s. Just quick short and sweet: